KCCS Anthology Project
On March 31st, International Transgender Day of Visibility, I embarked on a new endeavor to collect stories from gender diverse teens, young adults, and their parents, to be published in an anthology.
My vision is to work in community to create a book that…
- Offers both education and personal insights into the many ways that the trans journey is navigated, and emphasizes that there is no right or wrong way to travel a road to authenticity.
- Gives voice to the myriad of stories and highlights both the uniqueness of the journey and the common milestones.
- Speaks to both teens and parents and helps them better understand one another as they travel their separate roads on this shared journey.
- Offers a sense of hope and community to those teens and parents feeling isolated, afraid, and alone as they venture onto this path.
- Is so compelling through its honesty and diversity that folks who are not yet allies will be curious enough to learn, and by hearing the stories of courage and resilience will come to better understand the urgent need for a society that is more supportive of this vulnerable population.
I am partnering with a writing coach, Donna Mazzitelli, to hold virtual “writing circles” for parents and youth to help them find their story and put it on paper. Once we have collected the stories and added educational information to tie things together, Donna will also help with editing and publishing the book through her company, Merry Dissonance Press. My intention is to have the book released on March 31, 2023, in honor of the annual Transgender Day of Visibility.
No doubt this project will take a community effort… and I intend to highlight that broad-based effort so gender diverse youth and families can feel a strong show of support.
You can help by
- Encouraging gender diverse young people and their parents to attend one of our writing circles which are virtual, free of charge, and held on the 1st and 3rd Wednesday evenings from 7 – 8:30 PM EST.
- Sharing news of this project with friends and family via email or social media.
- Donating to the financial costs of publishing this book.
and receive the Zoom invitation.
- For $10 or more, donors will have their name listed in the book (unless they prefer not), demonstrating the wide support for the trans community.
- For $250 or more, donors will have one full line of text in the book and receive one free copy of the book.
- For $500 or more, donors will have three full lines of text, receive two copies of the book, and be publicly recognized at the book launch next March.
- For $750 or more, donors will have a full page to feature their logo and to share information about their organization. This is a great way to make sure your organization stands out in support of trans youth.
- Donors may also remain anonymous.